- Mrs Nerina Smith, founder of Smithland, saw a need in Cape Town for self – catering accommodation. In September 1992 she took the initiative.
- A room in her house in Plattekloof was created into a self – catering room.
- As she saw the need for more units, she added rooms and changed them into self – catering apartments.
- We can proudly say that Smithland is celebrating it’s 25th anniversary this year!
- Currently we have 31 properties in our rental pool.
We believe in the empowerment of people and we support various causes to this effect.
Mrs. Nerina Smith, CEO of Smithland Guest Apartments started a non-profit organization called Women on the Move where she offers amongst others life-skills training to unemployed ladies.
We collect second hand clothes, kitchen utensils and stationary to name just a few and hand these to said ladies on the successful completion of the life skills training programme.
Smithland Guest Apartments sponsors the food hampers, travel costs and accommodation for outreaches to local and even other rural areas in South Africa.
In December we had a Santa Shoe Box project where we packed shoe boxes filled to the brim with lots of goodies like soap, toothpaste, socks, tissues and even sweets. The boxes was handed out to the elderly in a disadvantaged neighbourhood. There were more than 350 boxes delivered.
Smithland changed a storage room into a sewing room and offers this room to women who are unemployed where they manufacture pillows for the elderly and sell other knitting items for an income. The income goes towards the wages of the women. Smithland nor the NPO takes any income from the project.
We have also been sponsoring accommodation vouchers to St.Luke’s hospice for the last 5 years. These vouchers are used at an auction to raise funds for cancer patients.
With the recent fires in Knysna, Mrs Smith has taken it upon herself to deliver non perishables goods, blankets and other necessities to a collection point in Knysna for those who suffered loss. After a Facebook post, people from all over came to drop goods at Smithland’s office. Smithland will be sponsoring the transport to Knysna.